Monday, May 10, 2010

first e-mail from Nica: 5/10/10

Dear all,
Well, this in unlike anything I could even explain. It is crazy here. People here are so poor. Most houses are just concrete. Many are just sticks and mud. It is crazy. I can{t tell you everything that happened. I hope my mom wote everything I said in the call yesterday. I really cleaned a lot around our house. It was so gross. This morning, my comp and I spent about an hour really cleaning the house. It was pretty gross. it was worse than antying at camp even. It is just a big change from the US.

Spanish is going well. I can understand almost everything when people talk. it is kind of bad. my comp and I speak english almost all the time. i need to try to speak more spanish. i am learning though. right now, i am in a place called San Ramon. it is jsut outside of Matagalpa. it is definately out in the moutains. it is really green. Our "assistance" as all the greengos say because they forget that assistencia is actually attendance in english, anyway our atendance is only about 20 in our little branch. We only have about 10 really active strong members. it is really interesting. We are working hard. we have a few investigators. we set acouple to have a date for baprtism, but they actually have to be married first. We invited so many people to come to church, but we didn{t have any of our investigators in church. we are going to keep working hard. My comp is the branch president and i am the first and second counselor. i had to give a talk yesterday in church too.

It was a pretty crazy first week for me. I got to see Jordan at changes on Wednesday. it was really cool. He translated for me. Anyway, things are going really well. Things are pretty cheep here, but my comp and I get ripped off alot. When two gringos go to pay for anything, they try to take one or two cordobas. It´s going well though.

I am allowed to spen 20 minutes emailing anyone I want, so people can email me. I won´t be able to answer everyone every week, but I would love to hear from people.

We´ve been walking a lot. my feet are still adapting to everything. Let´s see. What cool happened. We saw a dead boacostrictor in the road. There are frog everywhere and dogs everywhere. it is funny becuase if you act like you{re going to pick up a rock, they run away because they are so used to people throwing rocks to get them to go away. Anyway, things are tuani here. that mean things are cool here. I will probably have more to tell next week. We havn´t gotten robbed yet. It is hard here.people just work. they don´t really do much than that. They have a hard time committing to things. That´s why we don´t have any sacerdotes in church. It is just really interesting. We are working a lot with mempbers and trying to find families to baptize. We round one family that I think is going to be rreally good. we will see.

Well, I think that´s about it. I love you all. If there´s one thing i´ve already learned. it´s that the church is true. It provides so much direction in my life. That is the hardest part. people´s lives here are so simples that they don´t feel like they need anything else. I just want to go share this gosple with everyone. We can know where we are going, where we came from. We are lead by a living prophet. He recieves revelation for our times. If it were not for a living prophet, we would not know what our Father in Heaven wanted us to do. This chruch is true. We can all know for ourselves. God would tell us if it was true and he has given me my answer. thank you all for your support. I love you and he church is true. As missionaries, we invite all to find out for themselves, and I do the same for each of you. if you have a question if this is the true, restored church of our Savior Jesus Christ, I invite you to learn, study and then ask our Heaven ly Father for yourself. I wish all of you the best and hope than all is going well for you all.
Love,
Elder Ashby

I asked Scott if they have someone who cooks for them and he said no, but someone washes their clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment