Monday, July 12, 2010

e-mail July 12, 2010

Dear All,

Well, it was quite the week. We had a lot of things happen. I will try and share as much as I can and as much as I remember. So, first off, if you thought the spider from last week was big, you got another thing comming. I have attached a short video. It is short but funny, atleast for me. I killed this one too. We think it was the daddy and we killed the mommy last week. Anyway, We did get a baptism this week. Her name was Sorayda. We have been teaching her for the past 7 weeks. She is awesome and humble. We wsa really stubborn about being baptized. She had her interview a week ago and we had to work hard to get her conviced. She gave up coffee about 3 weeks ago and has been ready. She doesn´t have a job and has been really worried about that. She finally told us she wanted to get baptizewd last saturday. We set the date and kept going back and reminding her. Anyway, so the day came and of course, it was raining. It is always raining when we try to baptizse. The people are really afraid of the rain here. They won´t go anywhere. They think that if they go out in the rain, they will get sick. That´s because there are more mosquitoes when it rains and the mosquitoes can carry a disease called Dengai or something like that. Anyway, We took our unbrellas and when with the one strong member we have (by the way, she got and opened her mission call this week. She is going to Lima peru este) so we took her and animated her and told her we were going. She kind of joked that she didn´t want to go. It was raining and she wasn´t ready. She knew that she had to do it though.We told her to go get ready. We convinced one of her daughters to go with her. She said that she didn´t want ot get baptized, but we were pretty sure we could change her mind when she saw her mom gettting baptized. Anyway, so in the POURING rain, we went to catch a bus. My comp stood in the pouring rain waiting to wave down a bus while we waited under a building. He got drenched and finally got got a bus. We all got in. Of course we paid for everyone to go. So we went and got there and had her baptism. Lorna, the member, got them all dressed and the little girl too. We thought she was going to do it, but then she said that she wasn´t going to get baptized. Anyway, so i baptized her and all was well. We finally got home and we were tired and wet, like usual. It rains every day and we have started carrying our umbrellas more because we got sick of being wet. So yesterday. We had to confirm her. We went ot her house at 745 and she said that she was sick and that she was going ot go to the medical center. We said and talked to her about how important it was to recieve the Holy Ghost too. We told her we were going to do it in her house if she wasn´t going ot come to church. She realized that it was a sacred thing and said we should to it in the church. We were just really scared that she wasn´t going to come. She said she was going to come. So we left and started church. About half way through we came in. We confirmed her. After sacrament, she said she had her tithing. I helped her and she paid. That was awesome for me. But let me tell you what she paid on becasue like i said, she doesn´t have a job. We have been thinging what we can do to help her out. We decided that we could afford to take her some clothes and pay her 60 cords for a bag of laundry to wash. But we pay this other lady 500 cords plus however much she has to plancha, iron. We have to pay that no matter what. But we decided it would be a small sacrifice just to take her socks and sheets and towls. We need out pants and shirts planchaed. So we took her a bag to wash and 60 cords and she paid her tithing on that. But at least she paid. She could be a really good convert!!!.
Lets see. Also the church flooded. We have a baptismal font in our little chaple, but it has holes and it doesn´t drain. But one day last week, we didn´t have water in the church.. someone turned on the font and the sink and didn´t realize they were still on because there was no water. So we ewent back the next day and the font was overflowing, there was water ALL over the floor. I started bailing the font with a broken bucket. It was slow going. An hour later, i had done half of it. I had to go teach the english class and Elder Ensign and Lorna finished bailing and mopping. We got it done, but imagine if that thing pumps out 3 liters a minute and it ran for 24 hours, our bill is going to be huge.
Does anyone have any good ideas for p-days? Remember that I´m in a third world country and we are poor. I need fun, cheap ideas. My comp and I got those instant betty crocker brownnies and made those today. They were very good. We usually eat a few little things of chanchada, not good stuff for breakfast. We either eat lunch or dinner. We often eat lunch and then eat chanchada for dinner. It isn´t very healthy , but it´s what we have.
I spoke in church yesterday, and afterwards, the sisters in the ward complimented me on how good my spanish was. I have gotten quite a big better. I still can´t speak very welll, but I can usually understand people when the speak. Paso a paso.
Thanks everyone. I havn´t gotten mail for 2 weeks now, but we will see if anything comes this week for me. I will let you konw if any dear elders come, but i haven´t been seing any. They might have stopped those. People might actually have to take some time and HANDWRITE a letter ;) anyway, thank you to everyone for your prayers and love. I can recieve pictures on my email, so some people could send me pictures other than Sarah ;) I do love your pictures every month or so. The church is true, just pray and find out. I love the fact that everything in live is just a decision. Obedience is a simple decision between whether you are going to do something or not. We can choose to be righteous or not. It is simple. The church is true.

With love,
Elder Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment