Monday, October 4, 2010

e-mail Oct 4, 2010

Dear all,
Well, I have demasiado de escribirles. It has been quite the week. It´s been crazy. Well, first, we had changes. I didn´t have my contacts and I couldn´t see when they put the names of the trainers on the screen. Everyone had to tell me that I was training. So that was first. I have my first kid in the mission. He is Elder Celis from El Salvador. More of him will be contado más tarde en this email. Then, when they showed who were DL, and in what area, I couldn´t see either. My DL didn´t have changes, so I assumed that everything was the same. But then after everything was over, someone congratulated me on being DL. I was really confused. So I had to go ask the AP if I was DL. He said yes. lol so yes, I am training and DL. It is exciting. My comp from last change, in his third change is DL too in Chinandega, Chinandega. It was exciting for the two of us. Anyway, so that was that.

When we told our 2 families that we are teaching that my comp had changes and that he was leaving, they cried. It was soo funny. One lady that we had only visited and taught the day before, cried. That same lady is going to get married to her husband, who ya is a member , and she is going to get baptized this Saturday. So I now have to do interviews and report numbers and things like that. I have DL over Tonala, an area that just barely opened last change. So the church is new and there are only 2 members there, the two musas that they baptized last change. So they are going to baptize a bunch.

Conference was awesome. I got to watch it in English in an air conditioned room on a nice, soft couch. I was just like home with all of us gringos. All of the guys that we baptized last change came to conference!!!

So, my comp is really interesting. All I can say is this change is going to be an interesting one. He is suave. He also has bad luck. This is a slightly long story, but necessary. So, first, someone took one of his bags from the bus. So when we got here, he didn´t have hardly any shirts or garments. He had to wear the same shirt for 2 days. So the first night, he started crying because he doesn´t like being dirty. I tried to console him, but anyone that knows me knows that I´m not so good at that soft kind of stuff. The second day, he was dying because he had blisters all over his feet.

Yesterday was awesome. We got a reference from some other missionaries and went to go visit them. We met them and they told us that her baby had died four months ago. We got to know them some more. My comp went to go teach all of lesson 2, but I felt different. We answered what happens to infants after death and then we talked about baptism. We read Juan 3 where it talks about baptism. The husband read it and towards the end, he just started crying. It had touched him and I could feel the spirit. Anyway, so we talked about baptism and how it is the first step to take to see their baby again. We set a baptismal date and they were very positive. It was one of the most powerful lessons I have had. They were truly prepared.

So we went to leave, and in Nicaragua, in front of the poor houses, they have a big hole where all the dirty water from washing goes. He didn´t see it becasue it was dark and he fell right in. It was only up to about his knees, but it was nasty water. So that was sad. We went to go walk home. He had to change shoes and pants. We changed and went to go eat dinner. We were walking. It started to kind of rain. He doesn´t have a rain jacket or umbrella. So he was mad that he was going to get wet. All of a sudden, he said dang it. I looked back and in the rode is sitting the sole of his shoe. The sole just came unglued. So he had to walk with it in his hand. It was sad. He has just had some bad luck. I am trying to teach and help him. I had to ask him the other day if he was afligido o enojado o triste. Our cooking mom asked him the same thing.

It is just interesting that now that I have a new missionary, I can see how much my attitude has changed on the mission and how I have come to truly love it here. This change will be a lot of learning, growing and developing patience. It will be a good. one. I think that´s about it. The church is true. If you can´t see, look harder. If you can´t feel that, pray and read harder. Go to church, help the missionaries, and pagen su diezmo!!!!!!

With Love,
Elder Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment