Tuesday, September 28, 2010

e-mail Sept 27, 2010

Dear all,

This is going to be quite the letter. I don´t know why so much happened this week, but it was quite the busy week. So first off, we were trying to work really hard to reach our goals for the month of baptisms and retention. No, we didn´t get any baptisms this week, but I feel good about what we did this change. We had the second most baptisms under the ZLs. 3 out of our 4 sacerdocios, priesthoods, received the Melquicedec priesthood yesterday. We worked hard. As we come to the end of this change, I learned sooo much this change. It is amazing how much one can learn in just 6 weeks. I learned alot and changed a lot. We will see what happens with changes. I predict.... my comp leaves and I get put as DL, but we will see. That´s kind of what the rumor is.

So I had my first rob attempt. So it was like Wednesday night. We were on divisions with two 18 year olds. We were on our way back to our meeting place. We turned the corner and a drunk walked up to me. Now, I know that when a drunk comes to me, I just walked faster, right on past him. The 18 year old that i was with, stopped. I was about 10 feet away and they were talking for about 15 seconds when all of a sudden, I saw that he had a machete. Before I knew it, he took off running.The second I saw his take off running, I knew it was time to get going myself. So he took of running in one direction and I took off running in the other direction because the drunks were inbetween us and I wasn´t going to try to run around them. So now he is a block away in the dark and I´m a block away in the other direction. I was close to the house we were going to meet at, so I started walking to the house. A taxi came who saw everything came and told me ¨sube¨, get in. So i got in and he drove me to the house. He asked me what I was doing in that part because it is peligroso, dangerous. I told him we are usually there and have never had problems. Anyway, so I finally got to the house and got back with my comp. It was really weird to be by myself. So we headed back to the house. As we were about to leave the little part where this happened, we ran into the kid I was with. Aparently, he knew the kid. He was just too drunk to recognize him. But he had to push the two guys that where trying to rob him away. They told him to give them everything he had, which here, isn´t that much. I was the one who had 25 dollars on my. But it was quite exciting. when I saw that machete, my heart sure jumped a mile out of my chest.

So in the pictures I uploaded this week, there is one with my comp and hair all over his shoulders. That is because he let me cut his hair because he is pinchy and didn´t want to spend money. It turned out quite well. I cut mine as well, without a mirror, I might add. It turned out good as well.

As for the hurricane that many of you heard about, we did get some rain. It started raining on Friday night and rained most of Saturday. Sunday, O Sunday. What a day it was. The Evangelicos had their Day of the Bible. It was pouring rain and the streets were pretty much rivers. The water was up to the knee. So we had organized it all so that the jovenes from the ward were going to meet us at the church and at 700, we all had our assignments to go visit and bring the recent converts to church. at 710, no one was there, so we left. We took off walking and tredged through the rivers in the streets. It was raining and my feet and legs were soaked. i was actually really mad. But then, I realized that I could either be mad, or just enjoy myself. So I was happy and we went skipping down the river. So we went to the house of a family of recent converts. We had to wake them up and wait in their house. I even helped them planchar, iron, and we took them to church. So I got two pairs of shoes soaked yesterday. Needless to say, I am sick and tired of rain!!!! And then yesterday, our recent converts recieved the Sacerdocio. That was cool.

Today for p-day, chinandega came and we played some games and had some activities. It was really fun. We played dodgeball with dirty socks wrapped in packing tape. That was original. But we will find out about transfers tomorrow, so we shall see. O, you will all be happy to know that my mission mom, Hermana Fran, the member that cooks for us, made my pants bigger. She is amazing and they fit me better than before. They are perfect. I think that´s all. It was an exciting week and you will hear about transfers next week.

With love,
Elder Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment