Monday, September 20, 2010

e-mail Sep 20, 2010

Dear all,
Well, this week was quite the interesting one. Not much happened. We did have a baptism on Saturday. It was really good. A kid from the ward got baptized and our baptism is awesome. He is really smart and knows the bible almost by heart. But he just accepted what we taught him. So he is awesome.

I sent pictures of a scorpion that I found in our bathroom. I tried to catch it, but I was too much of a girl.

We have been working really hard this week. We have been waking up at 5 and not going to bed till 1030 or 1045. I has been killer. We have one recent convert who was a drunk, but stopped and got baptized. This last week he started again and we are trying to help him stop, but we can´t sit there with him 24/7. I sent more in my handwritten letter to mom and dad. One morning we were at his house at 600 to stop him from leaving early and drinking early in the day. But we have yet to keep him sober for a day so we can actually talk to him. It is really sad. Our zone did this thing where the first Domingo we needed to have 25% retention, the second, 50 and the third, 75 and the forth, 90. If we didn´t reach the goal each week, we couldn´t have pday. We only had 2 normal pdays this month, so it didn´t really affect us, but our ward has a big problem with retention, so next month, I don´t think I will have any pdays to relax. We will see if they do it again. We have a lot of primary and teenagers that don´t want to come to church again and so our retention right now is only 32%. We are trying to figure out some things we can to do get our ward going again. But we are working hard. Sometimes it is really hard. We work and work and work, and don´t see any evidence from our work. Like with recent converts, we visited all of the recent converts but only a few came. We can´t choose for people. We would like to, but we can´t. So that is our trial right now.

We have changes a week from Wednesday. I think my comp is going to be transferred, but we will see what happens. So today, we had to wake up at 5 and take a bus to Managua again to immigration. I got my ID. I am now a resident of Nicaragua. After that, we went to the distribution center to get some movies, pictures for teaching and books. It was a good day, but we didn´t get to rest at all. I got to see a few of the missionaries that came with me that are in the south mission. That was cool.

I think that´s about it. All I can say for this week is to do your missionary work. Help the missionaries. Don´t sit around. This recent convert that started drinking is one of the smartest people I have met in Nicaragua. He dosn´t have a job and can´t find a job. For this, he is just sitting around, doing nothing. Satan starts telling him how horrible his life is and he has nothing better to do than to go and drink. Idol time is the tool of the Devil. I hope I have better, more positive news next week. But the church is true and it isn´t all that hard to see. The states are actually very prepared for the church. In the states, it isn´t that hard to see that the church is true. Here, Satan is working really hard to make church look fun and easier in the other churches. The people have to work every day just to get by. Satan makes it very hard for the people to come to church on Sunday. But it is true and always remember what the Gospel means in our lives.

With love,
Elder Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment