Monday, September 6, 2010

e-mail Sept 6, 2010

Dear All,
Well, it is true, we are already half way done with the change. I can´t believe it either. Much happened this week. I don´t even know where to start. First, we the area is a little bit harder because we have to focus on the people who are actually going to keep their commitments and want to find out the truth. We have had to really focus and think about who actually wants to find out the truth.

We also spent a lot of time with our possibilities for baptism. We had 4 possibilities. One, Henry. He is 31. He is awesome. His friend is the bishop of another ward and he is the uncle of a recent convert. He was just in the house the first time I went to get to know the RC. So we taught him and he was positive. We had his date for baptism as next week, but he was ready. So, we talked to him and baptized him saturday. Juan Juarez is the spouse of a member. He is 22. He was really positive and was easy as well because all of his inlaws are members and they all supported him and helped teach. Francisco is 20. He is the granchild of some awesome members. anyway. He was possitive as well. His grandpa baptized him. We were going to baptize Francisco´s little brother, but his dad is really catholic and won´t marry his spouse, who wants to get ba`tized and wouldn´t give us permission to baptize his son. So we couldn´t baptize him.

So the baptisms were actually easy. Everybody came on their own. This was the first time we didn´t have to bring our investigators to their baptism. It was really awesome. That was the easy part. The hard part were the confirmations. Henry came on time. Juan can at the VERY end of sacrament meeting and we had to do it after. We talk to francisco before church, then, after the sacrament, we went to go get him, and he said that he was waiting for a friend and then we could come. He never came. We went again at the begining of Priesthood meeting. He wasn´t at his house. He needed to bring him to the church. So we started off walking to his mom´s house. I felt like we should pray to find him. We needed more that luck. So I told my comp we were going to pray right there on the side of the rode. He looked at me kind of strangely, but we did. We kept walking and not 3 minutes later, I saw him turn the corner about a block ahead of us. We put on the pilas and walked fast. We started making some ground. He turned around and saw us. He kept walking. So we ran a little. And then we ran until we caught up with him. I asked him what was up. He said he didn´t like that we were following him. He didn´t like that we were like chasing him. I told him that we were just trying to help him complete the baptism and recieve the Holy Ghost. He was mad and ran off. It was really sad and my comp took it really hard. I was sad, but I´ve experienced things like this. I was in San Ramon. It was just interesting to see how fast and how hard Satan works to stop people from doing what they need to. We have never seen him act like that. He turned really fast and we think something had to have happened. But his grandparents talked to him and we are going to try to do it tonight or tomorrow. We will see.

But 3 baptisms, 3 sacerdocios and 1 completion of a family. It was a good week. But now, we have to really look for new people to teach and people who are positive. It is just interesting how different the people are here. Yesterday, we contacted a family for the first time and they invited us in, and gave us tortillas, guajada ( like cheese) and Pinolillo. They are just so loving.

My comp and I are getting along really well and working hard. He is really easy to get along with and it is always easier when both people want to work hard. Not much else has happend. It has been alot easier to forget myself here. I haven´t hardly had time to think about myself with all the people we have to teach. Things are good and We are working hard. It is hot like normal and rainy. My eyes has been better. I don´t think there is as much sand in the air here. I haven´t had to wear my glasses.

Well, thanks to everyone who has given me support. Thank you for your prayers. The church is true. The work is true. Share the gosple. If we are truely converted, we will want to share the gosple with everyone we meet. We need to remember that this is one of the purposes of the church is to spread the gosple. Read, pray, go to church, and attend the temple. We don´t realize how easy it is to go to the temple in the states. It only costs the people 25$ here to travel for 2 days in bus just to get there, but it is hard for many just to save up 25 dollars. so go to the temple. The church is true and you will here from me next week.

With Love,
Elder Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment