Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Adventure getting set apart

I wish I had thought of this blog earlier. Now I'll have to post some things that are out of order, but at least they'll be here. I wish I could change the order of things.

Scott's plane was scheduled to depart at 6 am Wednesday, March 3, 2010. We had called the Stake Executive Secretary many times in the weeks before Scott's departure to arrange the time and date for Scott to be set apart, especially because we had a change of Stake Presidency in the weeks before Scott left. Finally, on Monday night at about 9:30 pm we received a call and they told us to be at the new Stake Pres home at 8 pm Tuesday night. We took Emily to the airport for her flight home at about 4:30 and then took Scott out to dinner. We still had plenty of time, so we went home for awhile and then made our way to Pres Godfredson's home. I knew right where he lives because he lives one street over from a friend of mine in his ward. We arrived at his street in plenty of time only to find out it is a gated community and we can't get in because we don't have the code and there isn't an attendant at the gate. We don't have his phone #. I called a friend to have her look his # up in the stake directory. Of course the old Stake Pres is still listed and the change hasn't been made yet! I think, "there's no problem, I'll just call my friend who lives the next street over". She doesn't answer the phone. We start to get a little frantic, so we drive to her house and she doesn't answer the bell. Now we're getting very frantic. We call a few more people. The Stake Exec Sec doesn't answer his phone (he rarely does). Now we're almost resigned to the fact that Scott will have to be set apart at the MTC because there's barely time for us to get a little sleep before we have to take him to the airport. I'm racking my brain to see if I know anyone else in his ward who will know his phone #. I go garage sailing with a couple of gals in his ward. I frantically try to see if I have any of their #'s in my cell phone, because I never call them. Sure enough I have a number to call and my friend answers. (She almost didn't answer because my cell phone still have my Wyoming # and I've never called her on it before!) Luckily, she has the # I need. I call and let them know that we're at their gate but can't get in. She gives me the code and we're in. It's now 8:20 pm. When we get to the door, I told Sis Godfredson that we would have been on time if we had known the code. She told me they didn't think to tell the Exec Sec to give people the code when they had to come for appointments!

I don't know how many of you I told this story to, because we were so happy to get it done and get him on the plane. Anyway, here's hoping we hear from him soon. Thanks to everyone that has written letters.

Gwen Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment