Friday, March 19, 2010

Letter March 19, 2010

3-19-10

Dear Mom and Dad:

Wow, today was a crazy day. A lot of guys are not trying very hard to learn Spanish. Almost none of us are speaking Spanish outside, or inside class, for that matter. We got chastised by a sub, the tutor today. It was very intense. It is hard for me to do anything with my comp not wanting to do anything, but I am going to set a new goal and work harder to do stuff and everything I need to do in spite of him. I can’t make him work. That has to be his decision. I am going to invite him and do all I can in to help him do things, but I can’t force him. We really went over our purpose today. We are learning Spanish only so that we can teach the gospel, but our most important purpose is to be great teachers. Everything I study must help me to teach better, whether in language study, personal study, or comp study. It is so hard when the senior comp is the one who doesn’t want to do anything. I am and am going to do my bet. I have been learning Spanish for me, and not for my investigators. I have not been relying on God’s help enough. I am going to start doing everything I can to learn the language for my investigators. This morning during personal study, I was studying at my desk, and my comp was asleep on his bed.

I also got a cold today. I felt really bad. I hope I start to feel better. One of the elders in our district went home. He had the flu and was in quarantine for a week. When he finally got out, he was gone by the end of the day. He had met with some of the leaders and he told us he had some stuff to work out and that he would probably be back in 3 months.

Things are going well though. I’m sure you and Dad are doing fine without me. Oh, by the way, I did get the package. It was good. I enjoyed it. It was very nice to get something. Don’t worry about sending me lots of stuff. I have plenty. If I really need something, I’ll tell you later. So I have gained 2 pounds. I think it’s in muscle. I have never been able to lift this much weight in my life. I can’t believe I’ve already been here this long! It is crazy. It feels like it’s been a long time, but it doesn’t. It is hard to explain. I got my Spanish B of M, Bible, and hymn book that the MTC gives us. I had them embossed with “Elder Ashby”. The weather is quite nice. It’s cold in the mornings, but it’s been warming up slowly. I haven’t gotten your other package yet. Things are getting easier. Well, maybe not easier, but I am getting used to it.

OK. Well I thought I told you in my last letter about our towel experience but here it is. We all got back from gym and ran into the shower. My comp closed the door and it was still locked. We got out of the shower and of course no one had a key, so we stood outside our room in only a towel. We didn’t want to walk all the way to the front desk so we tried to break in with a card, but with no luck. Some other missionaries said they could break in. They said, “Get us a vacuum, a note card, a hanger and some floss.” I thought there was no way they could do it. It is a long, complicated process, but it involves wrapping the vacuum cord around the door knob and turning the door knob. It took them about 15 minutes, but they got it. We just stood outside our door in only a towel for like 20 minutes.

I’ve only gotten 2 letters from Aleena for your information. There’s one kid in my district who has only been dating his girl for 3 months and she writes him every day. It’s ridiculous.

Mom, Happy Birthday! I’m sorry I forgot. It’s been so crazy. I hope it was a good one. You probably just went out to lunch with your friends or went to the temple all day You are one year closer to being able to get the senior discount. I hope all is going well. Don’t worry about sending me any sweets. I get $6.00 each week and I haven’t spent hardly any of it. I don’t want to get fat anyway. I forgot to tell you that they gave us a water bottle with a filter in it. All you have to do it fill it up with water, and then as you drink, it filters it. Anyway, I hope you and Dad aren’t getting too lonely without me. How’s my mutual fund doing? Did you set up the online account yet? OK, well hope to hear from you soon.

Love,

Elder Ashby


Oh, By the way, that pink marker I used to mark my shirts and shorts with bled on my shirts and some of my garments. I had pink on like 3 garments and all my shirts. I cut the tags off with my knife and then used that tide pen to go. I think it all came out, thank goodness. I will get pictures printed off and send them next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment