Saturday, June 5, 2010

Letter written May 17 and 24, 2010

May 17, 2010

Dear Mom and Dad:

I figured since I still don’t have that much time to type e-mails, I figured I would write too. I will probably write a little today and then write next week and sent it off next week. Again, it was really nice to get all those dear Elders. That was great. I have learned a lot about society and been made grateful for a few things being in a different society. 1. Just the strength of a real, full family. The strength that comes from married parents, a Mom and Dad that support and love me. Thank you for that. 2. The other thing is that it doesn’t matter how much money you have. As long as you sacrifice and make it work and live the gospel, you will be happy.

So yesterday, we went to go visit a member. She asked us to cut down this dead palm tree. She brought out machetes and we started hacking. We got mostly all the way and then Elder Ensign started pushing it. It finally fell, . . .right on her pretty flower bush. It absolutely demolished the little trees. It was so funny. She was kind of mad, but she was laughing too. She made us cut down vines to make up for the bush!

This 5:00 am thing has been so hard. We haven’t hardly had any energy to work all day. We work for 17 hours and sleep for 7 . . .if we’re lucky. It is rough. It is hard with the investigators. People don’t want to have to commit to anyting down here. They will lie and tell us they aren’t there when we saw them run to the back. The other hard thing is the mission pushes so hard for baptisms, but I don’t want to baptize someone who doesn’t have a testimony. It is just hard. I am working hard and will continue to work hard. I will get in the swing of things.

5-24-10

Well, another week down. We haven’t had water this week, really. It has gone in and out. I found out that this month, I was quite short of money. I don’t know if it will be any different. Things are going well. If you have questions, write me. 1 hour is really not that long. Things are so different than I thought it would be. I kind of let my negative attitude sneak back in. I did so good in the MTC, but it’s been hard here. I am going to work on being happy and having a good attitude.

Are you and Dad planning on picking me up? I know it’s 2 years away, but I’m just thinking where I might want to take you. Things are going well and I am learning. There are a few things I need to work on and I am still adjusting to the mission. I wish I could send you all my pictures. That would be nice. I could make a CD and send it to you.

Well, I hope all is going well for you all down there. I am learning and adjusting. If you have questions, let me know and I will answer them. I love you and the church is true. Keep working with the people there and your friends. Don’t be afraid to share the gospel. Well, I can you the mission isn’t easy, but it’s not supposed to be. I’m working hard and doing my best. It’s hot here by the way. I can’t wait to hear from you. I know I got some letters from you today, but I didn’t get them. So, I’ll read them and start another letter next week. I can tell you that I am growing and changing each day. It is a constant struggle, but it’s a good struggle. I love you. Talk to you soon.

Love,

Elder Ashby Family

P.S. Good job, Mom on your Spanish at the temple. If you come to pick me up, you and Dad will have to learn Spanish!

No comments:

Post a Comment